Friday, October 16

Subway adventure to Hongkou stadium

Since Alex has weekends free to explore the sights, I've been trying to go see the attractions that he wouldn't really want to visit. Today's chosen feature was Hongkou football (soccer for North Americans) stadium. This meant that I had to use the subway to connect to my destination. Sounds like an adventure!

The subway system in Shanghai is very user friendly. Automated tellers have instructions in English. You chose your destination and pay the adjusted fare (depending on destination, it may cost up to $1 with the cheapest fare $0.50). A card is issued and you are ready to go (you have to keep the card and surrender it at the final destination, I think they reuse them).

The subway system in Shanghai is used very heavily. Think crowds at the end of a rock concert but all the time.
These pictures were taken at People Square station which is admitedly the busiest but still it gives you an idea of how packed it can get once everyone pushes their way inside the train (think sardines, only tighter).

Once I got to the stadium, I had a reality-check type moment. I'm not sure what I was expecting but there was no event or anything else going on. So the visit was very brief. I was able to peek inside and walk around a bit.I knew this of course when I started to I had a backup plan to explore Lu Xun Park, named after Lu Xun, whose tomb was moved there in 1956. The park is fairly big and even with all the people hanging around it still didn't feel crowded. There's a lot of rules at the park, but I saw runners ignoring the speed limit, some folks were fishing and I even spotted a dog!
The park is beautifully landscaped and well maintained. Paths zigzag through the park and various attractions
An essential part of the park is the water where boats can be hired to navigate around (looks like FUN!)
Or as some prefer, fishing
I even saw people swimming. While the weather was beautiful, I'm not sure I'm courageous enough to jump in the water.

Other activities at the park include the sometimes heated card playing
This cool toy that is juggled around and makes alien sounding noises
And this amazing exercise area for adults fully equipped with all kinds of exercising devices
The park also has an art museum that may have been closed or just had an attendant that didn't want to let me in. I was able to take a snap of this statue outside.
There is also the bird hill to climb. There's not really a view up there but the air felt cleaner and crispier. Quite a few couples were also snuggling up there (tastefully of course!)
I saw my first Chinese cat. There were quite a few of them, at least 6.
And one really interesting feature of the park is these speakers, sprinkled throughout playing really soft and soothing xylophone type music. Really enjoyable. I couldn't hear the ding of the city anymore.
After the park, it was back to the street where I saw this ship. I'm not sure why or how it made it into the middle of the intersection but I found it interesting. Haibao was all over that ship so it must have something to do with the upcoming world expo.
I then proceeded to Duolun road which is an artistic hangout.
I visited the Shanghai Duolun Museum of Modern Art
Which was a bit dissapointing with items like this being the highlights
I can't really complained since it only cost Y10 to get in (less than $2).

The street itself provided lots of good vistas, it's as if this part of Shanghai can't decide whether it wants to be traditional Chinese or European.

Here's a picture of a smallish street marketI'm pretty excited about tomorrow's program that will start at People Square/Renmin Square. Please forgive me if it takes a day or two to get the next entry up, my weekend will be focussed on being with Alex while he doesn't have to work and I'll do the entries when I have free time, maybe as late as next Monday.

1 comment: