Tuesday, October 20

Fish, Shopping & Poison!

Sunday was a more relaxed day for us. We slept in a bit and then headed to downtown Pudong to visit the aquarium. Our taxi driver looked kind of new and we got worried once she got a map out. Knowing the way she should have been going, having done the journey a few times already, we knew she was way off course. We ended up at the Subway station at the end of the line!
We looked around a bit in this open air mall that was very quiet.
At the acquarium, we visited the poisonous fish exhibit where some really interesting creatures were on display
The aquarium also features many tunnels where visitors can walk under the fish. There's even escalators and moving carpets!
This nice display of African Cichlids reminded me of home!
Lots of tropical fish on display as well
And this huge crab to give me nightmares!
The shark exhibit contains some amazing specimen
Check out the teeth on this guy
After the acquarium, it was time for a snack!
The bun was some kind of chinese veggie similar to spinach and the sticky rice was pretty good even if I've had better before. Not a bad spread for $4.

Next up we headed to SuperBrand Mall for a bit of shopping. This place is huge with about 10 levels of shops, restaurants and a cinema!
The mall was so big we couldn't see it all in one sweep. We stopped for some refreshments :)
The Kumquat juice was pretty good. I'd never tried that fruit so the light sweetness mixed with a tangy undertone was very refreshing.

Once we were finished at the mall, we headed across the river into Puxi for yet more shopping on East Nanjing Road.
Unfortunately, most of the shops on this road are really upscale. There is not much I could afford even if I could salivate at the beautiful items on offer. Look at this gold Hello Kitty display.
For dinner, I was craving something a bit more western so we went to Pizza Hut. After much debate with Alex on whether a salad would be safe since my travel doctor suggested I avoid them since they would probably be washed under undrinkable tap water, we decided that Pizza Hut was probably a safe place to have it. I had been craving the crunchy fresh taste of salad for over a week!
Alex had a mushroom soup to start.
We also shared a fried calamari
Then the pizza arrived. It was a bit dry by western standard with almost no tomato sauce.
The bad news is that even if the salad was totally delicious, it made me sick :( About an hour after dinner, I started having stomach cramps and developed a headache and a fever overnight. I spent most of the Monday sleeping in and even today (Tuesday morning), I'm not quite back to normal. There's no way to be sure whether the salad or the lunch (or even Kumquat juice) caused the food poisoning but since the symptoms started so soon after dinner, my guess is on the salad.

You can rest assured that I will wait until I am back home to satisfy my next salad craving!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear! I hope you feel better...I'm wondering if the salad dressing went bad too!

    I was hoping you'd be able to avoid anything gastro-unfriendly during your entire trip :(

    Love the fact that you know what good sticky rice tastes like :)

    ReplyDelete