Tuesday, October 13

McMansions?

I went for a bit of walking around this morning and then a run this afternoon. One thing that has struck me while running is the prevalence of the McMansions in Shanghai. While I had heard before that the up and coming Chinese middle and upper classes were hungry for American style mansions and that this was an exploding market in China, I was still expecting more density than what I saw this afternoon.

For a population of 1B people, you would expect to see a lot of housing that look like this:
as opposed to this:

or this:
I'm not sure how so many people can have that kind of lifestyle. The energy demand alone would be unthinkable. And while China is a big country, it would probably run out of room pretty quickly. I won't even mention the transportation concerns that these types of low density housing creates! The contrast is amazing:
In case you are thinking that I'm exaggerating and that I took the picture of the one oversized house, let me show you Exhibit E that will give you an idea of the scale at work here:
The McMansions projects that I have seen and run through this afternoon are at least a few kilometre squared each.

No comments:

Post a Comment